Musicians selection for Popular Music project
Saint Louis opens the selections of musicians as part of the project “Love, Prison and Invective in Italian popular music, a musical journey between Lazio, Campania and Sicily“.
The Call is aimed at the research on an international basis of young orchestra musicians, who want to enrich their experience in an educational-historical-cultural project, for the following instruments:
4 First Violins
4 Second Violins
Every Nation, as well as every Region, has its own musical heritage, which has been formed over time, in the lowest and uneducated social strata of the population: it is popular music, which expresses in an unmistakable way the character, the spirit, the emotional power and the inclinations of the people of that Nation or Region.
The purpose of this project, entitled “Love, Prison and Invective in Italian popular music. A music journey between Lazio, Campania and Sicily“, is the production of a recording work and its publication on streaming platforms, whose release will be presented with a concert at the Auditorium Parco della Musica in Rome, which represents a journey into music popular area of Central and Southern Italy – with particular reference to the regions of Lazio, Campania and Sicily – to grasp its “genius loci”.
The historical and philological research of the project is curated by Dr. Cristina Carlini, professor of history and historiography of music and music applied to images at the Saint Louis College of Music.
For each of the three regions, a repertoire was selected consisting of an equal number of songs chosen from among the best known and with the greatest emotional impact of the popular tradition, for a total of 12 songs: a serenade, a love song, a song about prison theme and one on the subject of invective.
The songs will be performed by the Saint Louis Pop Orchestra, Saint Louis resident band directed by M° Vincenzo Presta, who will also take care of the arrangement of the songs that will be interpreted by the singers Antonella De Grossi, Adriana Persico and Fabiana Levita.
Deadline to apply: February 5th, 2021
For further info and Participation modalities, please download the Participation Call
Applications must be received by February 5th, 2021, by completing and electronically submitting the registration webform (see below) in which personal data and a short curriculum of studies, a copy of an identity document, an audio/video link on You Tube channel of a musical performance (optional) must be attached or inserted.
The project is articulated in three steps:
- Auditions, 16th and 17th February 2021: all candidates deemed suitable will be called to sit an audition at Saint Louis in Rome. In case of special needs, the Saint Louis Management may authorize some on-line auditions. The audition will focus on the reading of a passage that will be sent to the candidates one week before the audition itself and in a sight reading test. Candidates residing abroad will be able to take an online audition.
- Orchestral rehearsals and studio recordings for the realization of the CD. Mix & Mastering by Fabio Venturi and Marti Jane Robertson. To meet musicians outside the region or abroad, and taking into account the current state of health emergency, the recordings will be concentrated in 3 consecutive days in the months of March / April 2021.
- Live performance of the songs recorded with a concert at the Auditorium Parco della Musica in Rome in September 2021, 1 day of rehearsals and concert.
All participants will be entitled to:
- flat-rate reimbursement of expenses for students coming from outside Rome and from abroad
- certificate of participation in the project
- mention of the name on the disc booklet
- 8 ECTS credits certificate issued by Saint Louis