POPULAR MUSIC BACHELOR
- three-years degree in Jazz or Popular Music
- final project and original music CD release for the Saint Louis Labels
- combos, professional groups, bands and orchestra ensembles with students and renowned musicians/educators targeted to perform in the best live clubs and festivals in Rome
- diploma concert in a club or festival in Rome to present and celebrate, in a live concert, the release of one’s own CD
Cutting edge didactics
The 1st cycle Academic Diploma (Bachelor Degree) represents the top level contemporary music education in both instrumental and vocal music. Saint Louis is the first and only excellence Institution in Italy officially authorized to issue Bachelor and Master Degree (1st and 2nd cycle) in Jazz or Popular Music.
During the educational path, the students develop the most characteristics of his/her own style, such as advanced technique, creativity, rhythmic sense, improvisation, comping and stylistic soloing. The study of contemporary harmony and jazz or popular music arranging with the use of modern techniques will be achieved, both in the pre-production computer based phase, with sequencing and virtual instruments, and in the elaboration of scores for recording sessions with “real” musicians.
The student also gets to know in details the main music software used by musicians and producers of the contemporary industry.
The 1st cycle academic degree issued by Saint Louis is equally valid both in Italy and in Europe, as all qualifications issued by Italian and European Conservatories.
Activated 1st cycle Courses
The activated courses for the current academic year are:
JAZZ: Electric Bass, Double Bass, Guitar, Trumpet, Sax, Vocals, Trombone, Piano, Drums and Percussions, Violin.
POPULAR MUSIC: Electric Bass, Drums, Guitar, Vocals, Piano.
The study-plan articulates in:
- up-level technique and repertoire studies for the instrument or for vocals (see the single didactic programs), from the level reached at the end of the pre-academic courses up to excellence levels.
- advanced modern and modal harmony and arrangement studies.
- arrangement course for combo and orchestra (Jazz) or pop arrangement (Popular Music)
- ear training advanced classes, focusing on solos transcription and complex scores.
- professional combos (music ensemble classes), 2 different groups for each year, made up by students and one renowned musician, targeted to the building up of a top level repertoire. These bands will perform with the educator inside clubs and festivals in Rome, a unique experience to work with a well-known musician, creating an artistic curriculum of one’s own, starting to gain visibility in the working world.
- rhythmic session advanced classes, thorough studies of rhythmic patterns and complex structures.
- three years of stylistic contemporary improvisation (jazz or rock-blues for Popular music)
- jazz social history (specialising in Jazz) or Popular Music History (specialising in Popular Music), with guided listening meant to broaden the skill in recognizing styles, authors and historic periods, though the simple listening of a tune.
- chance to personalize one’s own study-plan (6 available credits per year), by choosing among the available special courses, such as song-writing, music management, musical, recording studio practice, orchestra, training, etc.
- labXchange initiative, in which the student becomes a combo educator for early years students, an approach to learning under guidance and supervision of an ordinary educator, a fundamental step to acquire practice and experience in a fundamental context for the professional musician.
- English language study, both technical and colloquial one.
Final recording project
During the student’s last year, the student will be guided by an artistic producer during the planning, writing, arrangement and recording phases of an original CD, which will be released with the Saint Louis labels. The first recording work is a very important business card for the artistic career.
Live presentation of the realized recording project will be held either in a club or festival in Rome with the presence of an audience and of journalists invited over by Saint Louis press agent.
Breakthroughs and opportunities
At the end of the three-year course, the graduated student will have the necessary skills and experience for his/her own artistic career.
He/she will be ready to practice the acquired profession or will have the chance to choose going on in the studies or attending the further two-year specialization course in composition and arrangement.
The student would also have the chance to take a course that no longer focuses on a single instrument, but on the acquisition of top-level competences in composition, writing and arranging and orchestrating for small or large groups.