If you are an International external student (both EU or NON-EU), wishing to apply for the Saint Louis Jazz Performance Academic Courses, please follow these steps:
1. Prepare for the PRE-SELECTION:
- Record a video (through any means/device: mobile phone recordings are accepted as long as they have a clear sound) containing 4 tunes performed by you, of which a minimum of 3 must be performed in a band (trio at least). Live performance Videos are accepted. At least 2 of the 4 tunes should be chosen from the given list. The videos have to be uploaded on youtube or other similar web portals, and must be indicated in the Application Form.
2. Fill in THE APPLICATION FORM
3. Wait for the PRE-SELECTION RESULTS:
The candidates who pass the pre-selections will be admitted to the Admission Test, to be sit in July or in September.
4. Prepare for the ADMISSION TEST
(to be sit in case of positive outcome of the pre-selection procedure)
- a) performance of compulsory tunes belonging to the popular tradition *
- b) extemporaneous “comping” test in different styles: Latin music, shuffle, pop, swing, rock, funk (for bass players, drummers, guitar and piano players only) *
- d) first-sight scores reading test
- e) instrument/vocal technical knowledge test
* THESE TESTS HAVE TO BE TAKEN IN GROUP, A TRIO THE LEAST. A RHYTHMIC SECTION COMPOSED BY PIANO, DRUMS AND BASS IS AVAILABLE FOR ALL CANDIDATES, UNDER REQUEST.
Music theory and harmony test
Ear training test
- a) music dictation
- b) solfeggio test and intervals and chords identification/singing test
Supplementary oral test
- a) evaluation of the artistic and didactic candidate’s CV
- b) evaluation of possible supplementary piano (not for pianists)
- c) evaluation of possible original compositions, recordings and/or recording productions of the candidates
- d) interview, based on music, general and motivational issues
HOW TO APPLY – DATES AND DEADLINES
The admissions tests for International Students to enter the 1st cycle academic degree in Popular Music are held in Mid July and Early September every year. The precise dates will be communicated once the interested students apply for the Courses and, in the case of the Pop and Jazz Course, pass the pre-selection phase.
The APPLICATION PERIOD runs from January 8th to April 30th every year.
Therefore the Deadline to send the Application Form and the pre-selection video is April 30th. Late applications will be singularly considered, at the Direction’s discretion, on the basis of possible available places and/or renounces.
For further details on the Admission Procedure and to fill in the Admission Web-form, please visit the dedicated web-page: