1st Cycle Academic Diploma (Bachelor/Undergraduate Level)
Authorized by the Ministry of Education, University and Research
- 3-year Academic Course (Bachelor / Undergraduate level) in Jazz Performance
- combos, professional groups, bands and orchestra ensembles with students and renowned musicians/teachers, created to perform in the best live clubs and festivals in Rome
- final project and release of a CD of original music for the Saint Louis Labels
- diploma concert in a club or festival in Rome to present and celebrate the release of the CD of the student through a live concert
The 1st cycle Academic Diploma represents the top level in contemporary music education for both the study of an instrument and of singing.
During the Course the students develop the characteristics of their personal style at the best, through advanced techniques, creativity, rhythmic sense, improvisation, “comping” and stylistic soloing.
The study of contemporary harmony and the arranging modern techniques of jazz music are achieved, both in the pre-production computer based phase, with sequencing and virtual instruments, and in the elaboration of scores for recording sessions with “real” musicians. The student also gets to know in detail the main music softwares used by musicians and producers in the contemporary industry.
The 1st cycle academic diploma issued by Saint Louis is equally valid both in Italy and in Europe, as all qualifications issued by Italian and European Conservatories.
The Course is of EQF level 6 and enhance the student, upon termination, to access Master Level Courses (EQF 7) both in Italy and abroad. To better understand the EQF – European Qualification Framework – for the Italian Higher Education System please visit the website Quadro dei Titoli Italiani
The Course is ECTS based. Every year is worth 60 ECTS credits, for a total of 180 ECTS credits. To better understand the ECTS – European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System – please visit the dedicated page on the European Commission website
Activated 1st cycle Instrument/Vocal Courses
The activated courses for the Jazz Performance Department: Electric Bass, Double Bass, Guitar, Piano, Drums and Percussions,Trumpet, Sax, Trombone, Vocals, Violin.
Admittance to the 1st cycle academic diploma in Jazz Performance is regulated by an Admission Test. For further details, please visit the “Admission” section.
The course is articulated in:
- top-level technique and repertoire studies for the chosen instrument or for vocals, from the level reached at the end of the pre-academic courses (or from the level demonstrated during the Admission tests) up to excellence levels.
- advanced modern and modal harmony and arrangement studies
- arrangement course for combo and orchestra
- ear training advanced classes, focusing on solos transcription and complex scores
- professional combos (music ensemble classes), 1 per year, made up by students and one tutoring renowned musician, created to work on a top level repertoire. These bands will perform with the teachers in clubs and festivals in Rome. A unique experience to work with a well-known musicians, to create a personal artistic curriculum, and to start to gain visibility in the working world
- rhythmic section advanced classes, thorough the studies of rhythmic patterns and complex structures.
- three years of stylistic contemporary improvisation
- jazz social history, with guided listening in order to broaden the skills of the student in recognizing styles, authors and historic periods, by simply listening to a tune
- chance to personalize the student’s study-plan (6 available ECTS credits per year), by choosing among the available special courses, such as song-writing, music management, musicals, recording studio practice, orchestra, training, etc.
- labXchange initiative, in which the student becomes an ensemble teacher for 1st year students, and approaches this task under the guidance and supervision of an ordinary teacher, which is a fundamental step to acquire practice and experience in a very important context for a professional musician.
- English or Italian language study, both technical and colloquial
To see the detailed Study-plans and the complete Curricula of each Instrument or for the Vocal section please visit the dedicated page Jazz Study Plan
Final recording project
During the last year the student will be guided by an artistic producer during the planning, writing, arranging and recording phases of an original tracks CD, which will be released with the Saint Louis labels. The first recording work, a very important business card for the artistic career.
Live presentation of the realized recording project in a club or festival in Rome, in the presence of an audience and of journalists invited by Saint Louis’ press agent.
Breakthroughs and opportunities
At the end of the three-year course, the graduated student will have the necessary skills and experience for his/her own artistic career.
He/she will be ready to practice the acquired profession or will have the chance to choose to continue his/her studies, attending the further two-year specialization course in either Jazz Performance or Jazz composition and arrangement (a course that no longer focuses on a single instrument, but on the acquisition of top-level competences in composition, writing and arranging and orchestration for small or large groups).
Jazz graduated Students willing to continue in specialization Courses of other Departments (ex. Songwriting, Applied Music, Electronic Music, etc.) will have to sit an Admission Test.