JAZZ – 2ND CYCLE
The 2nd cycle academic Degree in Jazz Composition and Arranging represents the top level of academic education (the equivalent of a Master’s Degree), the first one in Italy to have a small and a big band available for the performance of the scores and for conducting. The contents of the Degree range from harmonic to composition and instrumental techniques, arrangement for small ensembles, big bands, strings and mixed ensembles. The course is supported by real experiences in concerts, where the students will conduct and orchestrate their personal arrangements in various orchestra ensembles (from the Small to the Big Band), and by precious subsidiary subjects such as Score Reading, Forms Analysis and Jazz History, Leading Practice and a modern lab of stylistic ear training, with transcriptions and analysis of arrangements and sections.
The candidate can gain access to the two-year 2nd cycle academic degree upon audition. The candidate who believes that he/she has an adequate knowledge and who already attained a 1st cycle academic Degree or a three year University Degree, can sit the audition, which will include arrangement and harmony tests. On the basis of these auditions, a ranking will be published, and the students will be admitted on the basis of the ranking, respecting the number of available places.
- 1) Academic or University 1st Cycle Degree
- 2) specific knowledge of jazz harmony and arrangement to pass the admission test
- 1) arrangement test: 10 hours closed exam, 5 or 6 voices arrangement portion of a given tune, with the possibility of using a computer with a music software
- 2) harmony written test (see the program)
- 3) interview: discussion of the works, oral check of competences in jazz harmony, check of piano skills, evaluation of possible works of composition and/or arrangement created by the candidate over the last years.
HOW TO APPLY – DATES AND DEADLINES
- 13th June 2017, to sit the admission test in July
- 29th August 2017, to sit the admission test in September