JAZZ 1ST CYCLE
- three-year degree in Jazz or Popular Music
- final project and release of a CD of original music for the Saint Louis Labels
- combos, professional groups, bands and orchestra ensembles with students and renowned musicians/teachers, created to perform in the best live clubs and festivals in Rome
- diploma concert in a club or festival in Rome to present and celebrate the release of the CD of the student through a live concert
The 1st cycle Academic Diploma (Bachelor’s Degree) represents the top level in contemporary music education for both the study of an instrument and of singing. Saint Louis is the first and only Institution of excellence in Italy to be officially authorized to issue Bachelor’s and Master’s Degrees (1st and 2nd cycle) in Jazz or Popular Music. During their studies the students develop at the best the characteristics of their personal style, through advanced techniques, creativity, rhythmic sense, improvisation, “comping” and stylistic soloing.
The study of contemporary harmony and the arranging modern techniques of jazz or popular music are achieved, both in the pre-production computer based phase, with sequencing and virtual instruments, and in the elaboration of scores for recording sessions with “real” musicians. The student also gets to know in detail the main music softwares used by musicians and producers in the contemporary industry.
The 1st cycle academic degree issued by Saint Louis is equally valid both in Italy and in Europe, as all qualifications issued by Italian and European Conservatories.
Activated 1st cycle Courses
The activated courses for the current academic year are: JAZZ: Electric Bass, Double Bass, Guitar, Trumpet, Sax, Vocals, Trombone, Piano, Drums and Percussions, Violin. POPULAR MUSIC: Electric Bass, Drums, Guitar, Vocals, Piano
Admittance to the three-year course (1st cycle academic degree) can be gained upon audition. For further details, please visit the “Admission” section.
The course is articulated in:
- top-level technique and repertoire studies for the chosen instrument or for vocals (see the single didactic programs), from the level reached at the end of the pre-academic courses up to excellence levels.
- advanced modern and modal harmony and arrangement studies.
- arrangement course for combo and orchestra (Jazz) or pop arrangement (Popular Music)
- ear training advanced classes, focusing on solos transcription and complex scores.
- professional combos (music ensemble classes), 2 different groups for each year, made up by students and one renowned musician, created to work on a top level repertoire. These bands will perform with the teachers at clubs and festivals in Rome, which is a unique experience to work with a well-known musician, to create a personal artistic curriculum, and to start to gain visibility in the working world.
- rhythmic session advanced classes, thorough the studies of rhythmic patterns and complex structures.
- three years of stylistic contemporary improvisation (jazz or rock-blues for Popular music)
- jazz social history (specialising in Jazz) or Popular Music History (specialising in Popular Music), with guided listening in order to broaden the skills of the student in recognizing styles, authors and historic periods, by simply listening of a tune.
- chance to personalize the student’s study-plan (6 available credits per year), by choosing among the available special courses, such as song-writing, music management, musicals, recording studio practice, orchestra, training, etc.
- labXchange initiative, in which the student becomes a combo teacher for fist year students, and approaches this task under the guidance and supervision of an ordinary teacher, which is a fundamental step to acquire practice and experience in a very important context for a professional musician.
- English language study, both technical and colloquial.
Final recording project
During the last year the student will be guided by an artistic producer during the planning, writing, arranging and recording phases of an original CD, which will be released with the Saint Louis labels. The first recording work, a very important business card for the artistic career.
Live presentation of the realized recording project in a club or festival in Rome, in the presence of an audience and of journalists invited by Saint Louis’ press agent.
Breakthroughs and opportunities
At the end of the three-year course, the graduated student will have the necessary skills and experience for his/her own artistic career. He/she will be ready to practice the acquired profession or will have the chance to choose to continue his/her studies, attending the further two-year specialization course in composition and arrangement, a course that no longer focuses on a single instrument, but on the acquisition of top-level competences in composition, writing and arranging and orchestration for small or large groups.